OKLAHOMA CITY (KFOR) – A former resident of an apartment complex in northwest Oklahoma City who moved out after a pipe burst in her unit, collapsing her ceiling, told KFOR that the resort was still trying to charge him nearly $2,000 after a judge dismissed the case.
“They charged me, it was a little over $1,800, and that’s when I obviously contacted you,” Shatara Thomas told News 4.
Thomas first contacted News 4 last year in March when his ceiling at the Wedgewood Village apartments in North West OKC collapsed due to a burst pipe.
Thomas sent News 4 videos from the apartment at the time. It was covered in debris and mold.
“The bathroom is literally falling apart,” Thomas said last year.
She said the resort management was not doing anything to fix her apartment.
KFOR called them and stopped at the property last year. Our crew was kicked out and our questions went unanswered.
Thomas then moved out a few weeks before the end of her tenancy because she said the conditions were deplorable.
Then she got the $1,800 bill from the resort for breaking her lease and ended up in court.
“They tried to charge me the rent for April and March, for which I was not there. My lease ended in March. So I don’t know why they tried to charge me for April,” Thomas said. “We raised the bill. He rejected it.
Now, 10 months after the case was dismissed, Thomas has received the bill again. This time it was a debt collector.
“I got my hands on collections and they said they were going to dispute the whole thing and put it in investigations. So hopefully that gets cleared from my credit,” Thomas said.
News 4 left a message for Wedgewood Village management on Thursday and emailed them. We have not yet received a response.
“Just pay attention to the people in the apartment, like you have options. You have rights and a lot of apartments, for example, really screw up a lot of people. So you really have to be careful and know your rights,” Thomas said.
Two other residents contacted News 4 last year after our first story aired about similar issues they were having in Wedgewood Village.
It’s been a year and we still haven’t heard from management regarding these cases either.
Suggest a fix