Blackhawks hire company to investigate sexual assault allegations originally appeared on NBC Sports Chicago
The Blackhawks have opened an investigation into sexual assault allegations against former video coach Brad Alrich, team CEO Danny Wirtz told staff members on Monday in an internal memo.
Law firm Jenner & Block LLP, headed by former federal prosecutor Reid Schar, will conduct an “independent review” of the allegations.
Chicago radio station WBEZ premiered in May on the lawsuit, where an unidentified former player of the 2010 team alleged that Aldrich sexually assaulted him and another player during their Stanley Cup run. Former skills trainer Paul Vincent told TSN last week that he called a meeting before the 2010 Western Conference finals to brief the management group on the allegations and to advise the leadership to report the incident to the police, but they never did.
“Much has been said and written recently regarding the two lawsuits brought against the organization over alleged events in 2010,” Wirtz wrote in the memo, which was first reported by The Athletic. “We would like to reiterate to you that we take the allegations described in these lawsuits very seriously. They do not in any way reflect the culture or values of this organization.
“Mr. Schar and his cabinet have significant experience in conducting independent investigations, have no previous connection to the Blackhawk organization, and have been urged to follow the facts wherever they lead.”
Wirtz also wrote in Monday’s memo that the Blackhawks would not comment further on the situation “out of due process and independent review” until each process has “reached its respective conclusion.”